26 August 2011

China and Secret Detentions

You know, it's articles like this that remind me of this: Just because the economy has been shifting towards Asia doesn't mean Asia is necessarily better than any other continent.

Chinese law would legitimize secret detentions

This isn't necessarily new news - not by a long shot. And no, the US isn't perfect - the US government does the same thing to people, citizens or not, holding them without trial. But please, blacklisting songs by Gaga and Beyonce? Just because some people in the US don't like them isn't grounds for blacklisting them! Why not turn a deaf ear? Why not have an open dialogue instead as to why something is "bad" or "good" as opposed to shutting it up altogether?

I might not have as much money as a Chinese bank, and living freely is a paradox in the US. But at least I can speak openly among friends what I dislike about my country, and I can crank up the Monster in my car, if I so choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment